Sunday, October 30, 2011

Valley of Troubles!



How it delights the heart of God when we allow Him to take our valleys of trouble, whether self-inflicted or other-inflicted, and turn them into doors of hope!  When we do so, we are expressing our faith in His love even in the worst of situations, and refusing to fall back into fear.

God does not withdraw His mercy when we are in the Valley of Trouble, whether the trouble results from an outside source or from our own unfaithfulness.  If you have failed the One who loves you most;  if you have not walked in obedience and now find yourself in the Valley of Trouble;  if you feel your sin is too great for the mercy of God - look at the cross.  Look at your Savior.  Do not deny His holy character by refusing His forgiveness, cleansing and unfailing love.

We can delight God's heart by recognizing that sin is serious business and by determining to live in holiness.  But we must also acknowledge God's merciful willingness to save us from our own humanity, forming doors of hope when we confess and repent.  God longs to turn your Valley of Troubles into a door of hope.  Let Him!

Dear Father, I want to trust You with my whole heart, but I admit that I sometimes doubt the fullness of Your love for me.  And even though You have shown me only mercy and grace, I sometimes fail You.  Then my feelings betray me and I lose my sense of Your presence.

Loving Father, when my Valley of Trouble is of my own doing, help me realize anew that You will not withdraw Your love for me, but will instead offer forgiveness and restoration.  And when my Valley of Trouble results from the actions of others, help me see the door of hope You are shaping on my behalf.

You have gone before Me, Jesus.  I want to keep my eyes on the cross, the eternal proof of Your love.  Thank You for being a worthy High Priest.  Please grant me the grace to trust Your love even when I fail You, or when others fail me.  I recognize with new appreciation the transformation of my troubles into doors of hope.  Amen.

© 2011. Debra Heylen. All Rights Reserved.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...